You might know someone struggling with addiction but not know how to help them. It can be challenging for you to see them destroy their lives and relationships because of their addiction. You are bound to be concerned about them. However, you must remember that addiction treatment is the only perfect solution. Plus, after noticing the addiction symptoms, you must ensure that you talk to and treat them in a helpful and positive manner. You should also enroll them in an addiction treatment center in GA.
Below, we have talked about how you can help someone dealing with addiction.
1. Have compassion- Usually, you would not blame someone for developing a physical disease like cancer. You would be compassionate towards them and always understand and help them. Addiction is also a disease that deserves the same compassion and understanding. You must accept that addiction is not anyone’s choice but a disease. It will help build trust between you & your loved ones struggling with addiction and motivate them towards a long-lasting recovery.
2. Do not shame or criticize- It is easier for us to shift the blame or label someone or something as the source of the problem. But, the cause of addiction is not always so simple, and you cannot blame just one thing or a person specifically. Avoid blaming your loved one or family members for their addiction. It will only do more harm than good.
You should talk to them with positivity and encourage them towards recovery. Also, give them an idea about their addiction-free future and offer verbal and physical encouragement rather than lectures.
3. Educate yourself- Nothing is better than educating yourself on addiction and its treatment. Study the symptoms, recovery treatment plans, and the proper roadmap to an addiction-free life.
Find answers to the following questions:
- What is addiction?
- How does it occur?
- Why do people get addicted to drugs or alcohol?
- Which is the best drug rehab in Atlanta?
The more you know, the better you will be able to help your loved one struggling with addiction.
4. Seek counseling or therapy– Addiction affects everyone, from the person in treatment to those around them. Therefore, you should ensure that you are capable enough to manage the stress of your loved one’s addiction. It is normal and healthy to seek professional counseling or therapy. It will allow you to help them to the best of your abilities.
5. Do not give in to manipulation- Your loved ones may resort to whatever they need to do to support their addiction. They may even lie to you or push you into a guilt trip for caring for them. Therefore, you must establish some boundaries and learn to say no. It might be difficult but is undoubtedly necessary for both your and their health.
About Hope Harbor Wellness/Atlanta IOP
The tips mentioned above will allow you to help your loved one deal with addiction. At Hope Harbor Wellness, we offer the best addiction treatment in Georgia and help our clients experience life without substance use disorders. Our clients choose us for our proven treatment methods and high-quality, compassionate care. We offer an intensive outpatient program, a partial hospitalization program, and outpatient programs to fit the needs of different patients.
For more information about our treatments, please contact us at (770) 573-9546, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out our contact form.