When you enter a rehab program for drug or alcohol addiction treatment, you will have to choose between outpatient and inpatient rehab programs. If your addiction is severe and you need medical detox under supervision, inpatient treatment would be the best. Otherwise, you can go for an intensive outpatient program at a rehab center while living a flexible and convenient lifestyle.
A good outpatient treatment program will help you avoid drug or alcohol use, maintain a sober lifestyle, and achieve a meaningful life after recovery.
Below, we have talked about how outpatient rehab works!
Different types of treatment in outpatient rehab
There are primarily three types of outpatient treatment options listed below. Your therapists will discuss the options with you and determine which one will suit your needs.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): It will transition you from inpatient to outpatient treatment following a step-down approach. It is an ideal option if you need an intensive level of treatment at higher intervals. You will have to attend the program for 5 hours a day, 5 times per week.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): It is a step down from PHP for patients who need a less intensive level of care than PHP and inpatient. However, they need more intervention than people in the general outpatient program. They are committed to sobriety and staying in the recovery community. Our IOP program in Atlanta usually organizes sessions three times a week for 3 hours each day.
- Outpatient program (OP): It is the least intensive level of outpatient program and will help you prepare for a life of meaningful and long-term recovery. It will offer you enough support to maintain sobriety in your home and community. The sessions for this program usually take place 2 times every week for 90 minutes a day. Remember, it will continue for an uncertain period of time until your therapist, your families, and you feel that you no longer need the support and are ready to begin the next recovery phase of your life.
You should know that these three outpatient programs can work separately or together, depending on your individual needs. Your therapist will determine the right mix of the three programs and curate a tailored-treatment plan.
Therapy sessions during outpatient visits
There are three types of therapy sessions you can attend under outpatient treatment to combat your substance use issues:
- Individual therapy sessions: It will allow you to explore the actual reasons behind your addiction by going deep into your past, present, and future. You will learn a lot about yourself, preparing you for a successful recovery.
- Group therapy sessions: It will show you that you are not the only one struggling with addiction and help you connect with people facing similar issues. You can share and process their behaviors, thoughts, and experiences in a safe therapeutic setting.
- Family therapy sessions: It will help you reconnect with your family and repair the damaged relationships resulting from your addiction. Your family must also join the treatment as it will strengthen your recovery’s foundation and increase the chances of long-lasting recovery.
About Hope Harbor Wellness/Atlanta IOP
You must have clearly understood how outpatient rehab works. At Hope Harbor Wellness, we offer the best addiction treatment in Georgia and help our clients experience life without substance use disorders. Our clients choose us for our proven treatment methods and high-quality, compassionate care. We offer an intensive outpatient program, a partial hospitalization program, and outpatient programs to fit the needs of different patients.